Better fishing pictures: Bring it! Use it!
Published Apr 26th 2006
Have your camera on you an ready to shoot.
If you want to take pictures you need to have the camera with you and on you.
Let's assume that you at least have brought the camera on a fishing trip. That's a good start. The next natural step is to have it on you while fishing. Situations worth photographing appear and disappear within minutes if not seconds, and if you're not ready to shoot quickly, it's all gone.
Envision this: Your friend is fishing next to you. He or she hooks a fish.
"It's a nice one! Can you get a picture?"
Sure you can... you just need to reel in your line, wade in to the bank, drop your rod, unpack your camera and wade back. If your friend is a considerate angler that fish has been fought, landed and released a long time ago.
If you have your camera on you, you won't only get the picture of the fish, but also of the fight.
Another reason for not getting the pictures is that camera-owners are too careful with their cameras. No matter how good the weather is and how safe the wading is, they wrap it in three layers of zip-lock bags and put it in a camera bag. Some of these bags are even referred to as "everready" bags. If there's one thing they aren't, it's ever ready!
And do also take pictures in rain, sleet and snow! Images taken under these circumstances will usually come out excellent, and since such pictures are rarely seen, they often stir a lot of interest.
If your camera is an ordinary non-waterproof or non-splash-proof one, just haste with the job to avoid too many drops on (and above all in) the expensive equipment.
You can visit 500th.net, which has much more on photography.
A seriesThese are all the articles in our series about better fly fishing photography. Read this series and you will learn a lot ebout getting better pictures while fishing. General outdoors pohotographers may also pick up a thing or two...
Better fly-fishing pictures
- Go close in Gallery. Published March 16th 2006
- Go low in Gallery. Published March 20th 2006
- Use a fill flash in Gallery. Published March 24th 2006
- Perfect Camera in Gallery. Published April 9th 2006
- Fishy pictures in Gallery. Published May 4th 2006
- Glorious light in Gallery. Published May 24th 2006
- Use a tripod in Gallery. Published June 1st 2006
- Jump! in Gallery. Published June 21st 2006
- Macro in Gallery. Published August 30th 2006
- Underexpose in Gallery. Published October 16th 2006
- Casting pictures in Gallery. Published January 29th 2007
- Clear Water in Gallery. Published February 15th 2009
- Bent Rods in Gallery. Published May 2nd 2009
- Gear pictures in Gallery. Published June 16th 2009
- Shoot the weather in Gallery. Published March 15th 2010
- Pictures of nature in Gallery. Published March 24th 2010
- Waterscapes in Gallery. Published January 9th 2011
- Close to the surface in Gallery. Published July 29th 2011
- Fly pictures in Gallery. Published March 25th 2012
- Compose in Gallery. Published November 30th 2012
- Shadows in Gallery. Published December 21st 2012
- Reflections in Gallery. Published March 3rd 2013
- Better pictures: shooting the sun in Gallery. Published August 10th 2013
- Histograms in Gallery not scheduled for publishing yet.