Jim Levison specializes in saltwater fly fishing in Montauk, New York. He guides and he takes pictures.
While I was researching for the series on the recently started Fishy Photographers, I simply searched the web for fly fishing photographers, and Jim Levinson's web site popped up, showing some beautiful pictures from the US north east. I contacted Jim, and he agreed to participate and answer my questions.
I started like many of us do as a young hobbyist in my mid 20's who was fascinated by the camera and started playing around with one. I then always took the camera on my travels.
When I got interested in fly fishing in the early 1980's I would usually bring my camera with me. When I retired from the New York City Police department in 1993 I took many extended fishing trips and always brought my camera equipment with me. I became a professional fishing guide in 1999.
I always took my cameras when I had clients and I began to acquire some very good saltwater fishing images. I began to submit some photos to some fishing magazines in the US and got a few published. I then began to study what the magazines were looking for and soon found I was getting quite a few photos published.
Do you have a particular subject, region or a style of pictures that you mainly shoot or are you more all-round?
I specialize in saltwater fly fishing in Montauk, New York but my stock is more comprehensive. I also sell freshwater fly fishing images as well as some upland bird and waterfowl hunting images. I have images from many parts of the US as well as South America, the Caribbean and Russia.
Where are your photos used? Books, magazines, brochures, ads, web sites, prints, gallery exhibits or other places?
I have had my photos published in every major outdoor American magazine as well as some European publications. They have also appeared in fishing books including the covers.
I have also had my photos appear in commercial advertising for fishing products. I do sell some of my work at art and outdoor shows and thru the internet.
Is photography your main source of income - if at all a source of income - and do you do other jobs as a supplement?
My photography has been a decent source of income but I also have a police pension and income from my business as a saltwater fly fishing guide. photography is about 20-25% of my income.
Can people buy your pictures and if so, then in which form and where?
I sell my photos both framed and unframed prints up to size 17" x 22" online at my website. For larger sizes people need to contact me.
Where do you currently live and work?
I currently live in Sag Harbor, New York and guide in Montauk at the end of Long Island (120 miles east of New York City) My salt water fly fishing web site is www.allmontaukflyfishing.com
What's in your bag? Preferred cameras, bodies, lenses and other gear?
I shoot Canon DSLR's. I currently have two bodies, a 7D, 1D Mark IIn.
My lenses are
- 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
- 17-40mm f/4
- 24-105mm f/4
- 70-200mm F2.8
- 300mm f/4 and a 400mm DO f/4
I rarely take all the equipment only what I need for a particular job. I like to use hard waterproof cases on the water like a Pelican case.
1125 Millstone Rd
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Cell Phone 917-714-3222
More Fishy Photographers
These are the shooters we have featured:
- Rudy van Duijnhoven. Published March 14th 2014
- Fishy photos: Nikola Novovic. Published February 23rd 2014
- Fishy photos: Pasi Visakivi. Published March 30th 2013
- Fishy photos: Michael Jensen. Published January 10th 2013
- Fishy photos: Barry Ord Clarke. Published December 10th 2012
- Fishy photos: Harri Hytönen. Published September 6th 2012
- Fishy photos: Isaias Nicolaevici. Published July 24th 2012
- Fishy photos: Stu Hastie. Published July 6th 2012
- Fishy photos: Jonas Hoholt. Published June 3rd 2012
- Fishy photos: Dennis Collier. Published May 31st 2012
- Fishy photos: Marcel Siegle. Published May 28th 2012
- Fishy photos: Henry Hegeman. Published May 13th 2012
- Fishy photos: Corey Kruitbosch. Published March 28th 2012
- Fishy photos: Angus Drummond. Published March 10th 2012
- Fishy photos: Jim Levison. Published March 1st 2012
- Fishy photos: Aleksandar Vrtaric. Published February 26th 2012
- Fishy photos: Mark Lance. Published February 21st 2012
- Fishy photos: Jim Klug. Published February 16th 2012
- Fly fishing photographers. Published February 16th 2012
- Fishy photos: Lukas Bammatter will be published on August 20th 2014
Are you an enthusiastic fly fishing photographer? Pro, semi-pro, amateur? We don't care as long as your pictures are good and get around.
Let us know. Contact Martin through mail and your work can become a part of the Fishy Photographers series.