The Global FlyFisher - The Largest and Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
The Bunny Leech
Rabbit fur for sea trout
An oldie pattern from GFF
This is a steelhead pattern, normally made with black or purple rabbit. But with natural rabbit it makes a very good pattern for the coast. By cutting a narrower strip of rabbit and choosing natural colors a lighter dressing is achieved. Good for spring fishing and fishing in current like over reefs. Will need 5-10 minutes to soak before fishing really well.
|Hook||2-6 straight eye streamer hook.|
|Thread||Tan, brown or red|
|Tail||Back end of zonker strip|
|Body||Red flash dubbing, with open twists of rabbit over it|
|Wing||A few straws of flash|
|Head||Color of thread|
- Tie in the thread at the hook bend and secure the zonker strip with app. 8 mm sticking out as a tail.
- Whip finish over the tail, but don't cut thread.
- Dub thread with red flash dubbing, and cover hook shank with a thinlayer of dubbing
- Wind rabbit strip palmer wise so that hair is backwards (stroke with wet fingers while turning).
- Tie down at hook eye and cut.
- Tie in 4 straws of flash same length as entire fly.
- Form head and varnish.
|More great articles on The Global FlyFisher|
|These other stories on "Sea Trout Flies - Flies for sea run brown trout" might also interest you:
More about Sea Trout Flies
|A couple of random articles|