Dual Tube Phlyz
Published Aug 1st 2007
A new method for tying huge flies for striped bass
By Pete Gray
I'm not a big fan of the standard tubular classics... granted, they serve their purpose and catch picky river preditors... I was more motivated to combine flat wing/deceiver/hollow tie/whatever to my particular tastes and applications and isn't that what innovative tying is all about anyway!?
In an effort to entice larger striped muggers (stripers) during the spring herring run here on Cape Cod when Big Girlz venture back into the shallow estuaries to the herring runs, I started tying 8-12+ inches herring flyz...
Larger BigEyed epoxy heads proved effective as did the slightly lighter but esthetically pleasing Jungle Cockeyed versions.
With the incorporation of my tandem junction tube I was able to move the centre of gravity forward for a more natural and enticing appearance and, since the muggers seemed to prefer assaulting head on, my hook up rate improved as well.
I prefer heavier 10-11 weight gear overlined with floating lines. Casts are not long and the drifts are key with the undulating motion of the long hackles that brings out the beast and 6 feet of 20 lbs. flourocarbon simplifies the basic presentation! Tapers are optional and effective for longer casts.
My goal is to "insinuate" movement and mass without trying to throw heavy phur n' pheater look-a-likes. For my efforts, the DualTube is spot on with the hook up front.
More on tube flies
- The Gladiator in Patterns. Published September 3rd 1997
- The Rocket in Patterns. Published January 1st 2002
- CZCDNTM in Patterns. Published October 15th 2002
- The Plipper in Patterns. Published July 16th 2006
- Sunray Shadow in Patterns. Published May 21st 2007
- Burning Man in Patterns. Published June 14th 2007
- Convertible tubes in Patterns. Published August 14th 2007
- Tube Fly Turmoil in Tie Better. Published August 16th 2007
- Tube Style Plate in Tie Better. Published August 16th 2007
- Tube Basics in Tie Better. Published August 16th 2007
- Tube Styles in Tie Better. Published August 18th 2007
- Tube Flies in Book Reviews. Published August 19th 2007
- Tube Ressources in Tie Better. Published August 20th 2007
- Tube Tools in Tie Better. Published August 20th 2007
- Tube Tying Techniques in Tie Better. Published August 20th 2007
- Tube Flies Two in Book Reviews. Published August 21st 2007
- Styles and Patterns in Tie Better. Published August 22nd 2007
- Danish tube fly inspiration in Tie Better. Published May 7th 2012
- The tube fly needle in Tie Better. Published January 1st 2013