Smooth tinsel body
How to tie a nice, even, ribbed tinsel body. Here's one way.
The description assumes that you want a silver body. If you want gold, just replace 'silver' with 'gold' below.
For a smoother and more cylindrical body, you might want to strip off the 'metal' layer of the oval tinsel and only have the fabric kernel left under the thread base and the flat tinsel. Also you might want to untie the tied in flat tinsel and cut off the folded part before you tie down and finish it.
||10 easy steps
- Start by tying in the oval tinsel under the hook in the full intended length of the body
- Cover the tinsel and the hook shank with an even and smooth layer of thread
- End up with the thread where you want the front end of the body
- Cut the end of the flat tinsel to a triangular taper on one side
- Tie in the flat tinsel with the silver side in if you want a silver body
- 'Fold' the tinsel in an 45 deg. angle over the hook shank and start turning
- Turn the tinsel in tight even turns to the back end of the body
- Pull tight and reverse direction, now covering the previous layer of tinsel with just as even and tight turns
- Pull the flat tinsel tight and tie down
- Now turn the oval tinsel in opposite direction and tie down under the hook in front end of the tinsel body.