The Global FlyFisher
Simply the Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tyinghttp://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/dalby-revenger
A simple fly utilizing rabbit dyed with picric acid.
A large and colorful fly, but surprisingly good for clear water.
There are obvious variations of this fly - like a black stonefly type. But adding a red tail can sometimes do womders.
Lots of variations
The fly is basically a stonefly type - long, slender, ribbed body and a large round hackle. Tie one in black and you're bound to say stonefly. I tied a few in natrual rabbit too, and their over all generic look also fooled a couple of fish. They will easily imitate anything from larger nymphs to shrimps and even fry.
My last variation had a red tail, made from a few red rabbit hairs, and thet too tempted a trout or two.
|Hook||Tiemco TMC 200, size 2-6|
|Tail||Olive rabbit (optional: red)|
|Rib||Medium flat silver tinsel|
|Body||Olive rabbit dubbing|
|Hackle||Olive dyed grizzly hen|
- Tie in thread behind hook eye and cover shank
- Prepare a thin bunch of hair by removing underfur
- Tie in as a fairly long tail
- Return thread to hook bend and tie in ribbing
- Dub the body to a thin, cylindrical shape almost all the way to the hook eye
- Rib in 8-10 close and tight turns
- Prepare a hackle approx. 1½ hook gaps in barb length
- Tie in as a classic wet fly hackle
- Wind 4-6 times
- Tie down, cut surplus and form a small head
- Whip finish