The Global FlyFisher
Simply the Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tyinghttp://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/nize
Nize is a tube fly tied the environmentally friendly way - reusing tube scraps from other flies.
The Nize Fly pattern is a very effective for salmon and trout and by following this step-by-step tutorial, you will get a "safe" pattern for your fly box. This fly we will do the environmentally friendly way by using tube leftovers.
I mostly use the Danish Pro Tube system, which I think is the most advanced and best quality tube system around. This brand has presented some very innovative products from its birth, and has already been copied by others.
The tubes themselves are made of a plastic/silicone blend that just gives the perfect structure for tube flies. The finish is the best I have seen. The only thing that is a shame is that when I have tied a fly, there is always a big piece of leftover tube that is cut off. In most cases this goes the the trash.
But it's a shame not to use such a good quality tube, so I am now going to show you how to tie the Nize Fly on a leftover piece of a Pro Nano Tube in Sink 4. I also do this with leftovers from the Pro Micro Tube.
1. Put a Pro Hook Guide on the tube.
2. Since there is no "ripples" to hold the hook guide like on the full length Pro Nano and Mirco tubes, I tie the Pro Hook Guide onto the Tube. These tapered silicon hook guides are simply amazing
3. Add some gold/copper Angel Dubbing as a short body
4. Tie in some yellow Arctic Runner (Icelandic Horse hair) as a wing - 3-4 times the length of the finished body w/cone
5. Add the flash: two long strands gold w/holograph and two short strands orange/green Chrystal Flash
6. Add a sparse black soft hackle
7. Add a short yellow/black or yellow/brown barred rabbit zonker strip
8. Add a sparse yellow soft hackle
9. Add orange jungle cock cheeks
10. Finish off with a Pro Cone, melting the tube in front of the cone to hold it