Rubber band tool

Published Oct 24th 2013

A simple home made tool to hold hackle and other materials while tying - AKA a hackle guard


A commercial tool

UK fly tyer Alan Bithell saw our article on the Green Machine and noticed the small tool that the tyer Ken Bonde Larsen used to hold the hackle, a so called hackle guard.

Alan dropped me a mail:
As I tie this fly from time to time I have a "tool" that does the same job, however I bet it only costs a fraction of what that one does. I'll attach a couple of photos of it and how I use it. It occurred to me that it might make a short "Fly Tying Tip" article for you if you would like to put it up on your site.

The tool is made from very simple materials: a rubber band and a small piece of tube or a thin straw. A piece of fly-tying tube can do the job. Apart from that a small piece of monofilament will make the preparation of the tool easier.

Making the rubber band tool
The materials - A rubber band, a thin tube and a piece of mono and you are ready
The materials
Ready to pull - Thread the mono through the rubber band and then push both tags through the tube
Ready to pull
The finished tool - Pull the rubber band partly through the tube and remove the mono
The finished tool
Over the bobbin - Pull the rubber band over the bobbin and up the tying thread and over the hook
Over the bobbin
Tighten - Tighten the tool to grab the hackle
Pull back - Pull back the tool over the hackle to get it out of the way
Pull back
Tie the body - With the hackle out of the way, you can easily spin and trim the body without the risk of cutting the hackle by accident
Tie the body
Loosen tool - When you are ready to wrap the hackle, open the rubber band too tool so it can be removed
Loosen tool
Remove - Slip the rubber band over the fly and remove it. If the tying thread is still there, simply slide it down along the thread and over the bobbin

User comments
From: Carlos Heinsohn · crh·at·  Link
Submitted October 31st 2013

Great Idea!

GFF staff comment
From: Martin Joergensen · martin·at·  Link
Submitted October 25th 2013


Google the word hackle guard and there should be plenty.


From: norm frechette · flytire·at·  Link
Submitted October 25th 2013

so where can i locate/get one of the commercial tools?

Want to comment this page? Fill out the form below.
Only comments
in English
are accepted!

Comentarios en Ingles
solamente, por favor!

Your name Your email
Anonymize my information. Name and email will not be shown with comment.
Notify me on new comments to this article on the above email-address.
You don't have to comment to start or stop notifications.

All comments will be screened by the GFF staff before publication.
No HTML, images, ads or links, please - we do not publish such comments...
And only English language comments will be published.
Name and email is optional but recommended.
The email will be shown in a disguised form in the final comment to protect you against spam
You can see other public comments on this page