The Global FlyFisher
Simply the Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tyinghttp://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/the-fair-fly
The Fair Fly
This fly is a larger and more imitative variation of the Squirrel Zonker. The addition of the eyes and the heavy hair hackle makes the fly more fishlike and the Fair Fly is a good imitation of a sculpin.
This fly is a larger and more imitative variation of the Squirrel Zonker. The addition of the eyes and the heavy hair hackle makes the fly more fishlike and the Fair Fly is a good imitation of a sculpin. The fly is tied with fur from nutria, which has a dense curly underfur and shiny, spiky guard hairs. the fur could easily be 'substituted' with mink. With ladies furs it actually works the other way round.
|Hook||Long shank down eye streamer size 4-2|
|Thread||Grey or tan|
|Tail||Tip of zonker strip|
|Rib||Oval silver tinsel|
|Wing||Zonker strip cut from nutria (or mink)|
|Hackle||Hair hackle from nutria|
|Eyes||bead chain eyes|
|Head||Heavy dubbing over and in front of eyes|
- Tie the body and zonker wing like mentioned under the Squirrel Zonker
- Leave at least two eye widths for the head.
- Make a dubbing loop and put aside.
- Tie in the eyes one eye width behind hook eye.
- Catch a tuft of nutria underfur and guard hair in the dubbing loop, spin and cover space behind the eyes with the hackle.
- Dub the thread with nutria and cover the base of the eyes with dubbing.
- Finish the fly and stroke hairs over eyes with velcro to mix with the hackle.The nutria can easily be substituted with mink. Squirrel will do fine for smaller flies and rabbit for larger ones.