• Reply to: Czech nymphs   17 years 1 month ago

HELP!! i have tried to tie dropper loops in my leader in order to fish 2 or 3 nymphs but can't seem to tie the dropper loops. is there a vice or something you use to make tying these knots easier?

• Reply to: Rainbow looking up at a G...   17 years 1 month ago

Darryl,

That's a fantastic picture!

• Reply to: Salmon fly pausing after ...   17 years 1 month ago

Must be a Meiser flyrod! Am I right?

• Reply to: C&F tube body tool   17 years 1 month ago

Good service

• Reply to: Flytyers Masterclass   17 years 1 month ago

Finally found it @ $60.00 for a used one, little bit out of my league, thanks for the help, hope it comes back to print one of these days ;)

• Reply to: Baby Buggers   17 years 1 month ago

Bravo! great patterns that catch fish,,.I feel naked without a box of buggers!

• Reply to: Branchu   17 years 1 month ago

The Branchu as tied by Jean Guy Cote incorporated a jungle cock nail split in two and placed 1/2 on either side of the body. See Stewart and Allen Trout Flies for one tied by JGC.

Thanks for the site I really appreciate it.

• Reply to: Boney Flies   17 years 2 months ago

Say Hey martin,

I was just looking at some of your bonefish theme... wonderful work. Nice job. However, you have mentioned that Charlie Smith was the originator of the "Crazy Charlie." That's not quite correct... please let me share with you part of an interview I had with Bob Nauheim the person who created the fly...

Here's the story directly from Bob:
    It took place on a bonefishing trip to the Bahamas. I believe it was around 1977. Keep in mind there really weren't many flyfisherman chasing bonefish at this time. I was working with a guide (and lodge owner) named Charlie Smith. We were watching the bones apparently key on "glass minnows." I asked Charlie if that was a common food for bonefish and he replied "Sure mon."

That night, back in the lodge, I tied some flies with a bit of flash, some clear Mason 15 lb. Mono, a couple of feathers, and a pair of bead eyes. The eyes were adopted from steelhead patterns I'd used with great success. It was the first time "bead eyes" were used on a bonefish pattern.

The next day we had a ball catching fish with the newly created pattern. Charlie said "dat fly is nasty mon" that's when I gave it the name "Nasty Charlie." I'd run into Lee Perkins, of Orvis fame, and he asked me about the fly design. He'd heard how effective it was on the flats. I sent him a sketch with tying instructions. Later that year it was presented in the Orvis Catalog as the "Crazy Charlie." It's had that name ever since. I'm delighted it's become such a widely accepted fly.

A sad note to this story is that Bob has just passed away. He will be missed by many in this industry. He was a mentor of mine and a close friend. Thanks for giving me a moment to share this story with you.

Cheers, Kenny

• Reply to: A Dragon Fly on the banks...   17 years 2 months ago

Dirk, very goooood photo...from me to your photo clear BIG SIX ...good light from Percas from Eastern Slovakia....

• Reply to: LeaderCalc2007   17 years 2 months ago

Dear Makers Of Leadercalc
    I have been using leadercalc for about 5 years, I have found it to be the best download I ever did. It Has completely improved my casting of heaviers poppers and small flies.It has competely changed my understanding of delivery of flies.
    Walter K

• Reply to: Wash-n-Dry Dubbing   17 years 2 months ago

Great ! I've been using lint as described for a number of years. Good article !

• Reply to: Tooth & Nail   17 years 2 months ago

Nice article...and nice flies.

Regards