• Reply to: Unbelievably fast-sinking lines???   1 day 5 hours ago

You can solve this issue easily by using two full-sinking fly lines, connected end-to-end. To prevent tangling, you will want to have the boat drifting or moving slightly after the first line is casted and paid out, then when you have the line straightened out, you feed out the second line, sinking portion first, then running line. Both lines will hang down in the water, if they are each 100ft lines, and there is no current, the fly will get to 200ft depth, eventually. More likely, there is some current, and the extra line will allow you to control how deep the fly gets and the angle of presentation. Secondarily, the running line sinks slower and responds to current more than the sinking sections - this may pose a risk of tangles if you pay out too much line all at once, but it also provides for a unique motion to the fly, because the fly will follow the pattern of the line though the water if the line is slack and not straightened out - it will follow a curve, or even an s-curve, if that is the shape of the line in the water. There is no water too deep to fish with a fly line, unless there is wind and current. In high winds and current, you may find that a double sinking line of 200ft length only gets the fly 30-40ft down on a fast drift. A double line set-up also allows for normal casting, as the second line acts as backing when not in use. Using gel-spun backing under the second line is advisable as it uses up less space on the reel. This type of set-up can be used in any line weight for any deep water fish.

• Reply to: Flies Photo Gadget   1 week 3 min ago

This is a great option to the Nikon/Canon light rings which are quite expensive. Probably if is fixed in a soft box ( simple made of cardboard with white paper ) will provide very good photos.

• Reply to: Pacific Northwest Streamer Conversions   1 week 2 min ago

I've done this for years and it's a lot of fun to convert flies from one usage to another. One of my favorite sources of inspiration was the book "Fly Patterns of Alaska" , a compilation of the Alaska Fly Fishers from Amato Publications. Many of those salmon ad saltwater patterns can be tweaked into wonderful, down-sized largemouth bass streamer patterns for Pennsylvania lakes.

• Reply to: Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club 1938   2 weeks 2 days ago

Jill,

I have no problems seeing the video, and it plays as it should on my computer as well as on my phone. You can try the source on Vimeo as an alternative: https://vimeo.com/188550829

I have also mailed you.

• Reply to: Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club 1938   2 weeks 1 day ago

My father found this video and is trying to share it with me. My grandfather Lewis Lionvale is in the video. I am unable to view it. Lewis was President of the Club twice. I would love to see him. Is it possible for you to send me the video? Thank you,
    Jill Lionvale Vink
    mobile: 805/459-1093

• Reply to: Astrid   4 weeks 1 day ago

@Daniel D Holm: To change the colour of the tying materials is not an "INVETION". Inovation ...mmmm, may be.

• Reply to: Pimp your vise   1 month 10 hours ago

Graham,

I don't sell any of the things I have made for my vise. I don't have access to the laser cutter on a regular basis, and don't want to start a production as such. online services do offer to cut on demand from a PDF. That was how I made my first laser cut parts. You might want to look into that. They typically charge per mm cut, and small parts like these will typically be very inexpensive.

The black thing is a small hair clip (for holding human hair on the head) bought in the women's accessories department in a large store. I use it to hold stray materials on larger flies when I want them out of the way. They are cheap and very useful. Like these found on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pcs-Black-Plastic-Mini-Hairpin-6-Claws-Hair-...

• Reply to: Pimp your vise   1 month 10 hours ago

Hi Martin,
    I have a law vice but not an acrylic cutter to make the material clip based on your design, do you sell the parts? Also on your photos above whats that black thing in front of the material clip.
    Cheers
    Graham

• Reply to: Tom’s bobbin holders   1 month 5 days ago

Thank you! Realy interesting decision with construction.

• Reply to: Tom’s bobbin holders   1 month 5 days ago

Eugene,

I don't think it's likely that Tom will sell any of his tools. He makes them for himself, and people have asked before and been kindly turned down.
    I will convey your question to Tom.

• Reply to: Tom’s bobbin holders   1 month 5 days ago

Hello! Nice bobbin holder! is it possible to buy that one?

• Reply to: How to look good   1 month 1 week ago

Details are critical. A discreetly displayed $120.00 line clipper is a compulsory accessory, discreetly displayed but brightly enameled so it does not escape notice altogether.