• Reply to: Image theft   3 days 8 hours ago

Hello Guys, Glad to Join! :)

• Reply to: Lefty's Deceiver   4 days 20 hours ago

The best all around streamer: seabass, asp, perch, tarpon, jack, chub, snapper... I use it mostly with white /grizzle/chartreuse or purple/black. I put bit more flash but I make the throat of calf tail to make a hot spot. And of course yellow stick on eyes and UV resin head.

• Reply to: Whip Finish By Hand   6 days 18 hours ago

Thanks. I used this video many times with new tyer.

• Reply to: I stopped counting   1 week 22 hours ago

Don’t worry, Google won’t loose anything cause you stop counting. If this free time give birth to + 1 publication per year or more time with Brigitte and/or fishing, well we all gain here. Obviously , more time for you and your love is first. Take care Martin.

• Reply to: Steel Shrimp   2 weeks 18 hours ago

Nice one, Nick.
    Cheers!

• Reply to: Trevor Morgan   2 weeks 2 days ago

I got an email from Trevor, with this information:
    ---------------
    I have been out of action for a while now because of ill health but am pleased to say that I have a stock of my Javelin fly lines available.
    I now live in Ireland and my current email is : tmorganmayo@gmail.com
    My phone/WhatsApp number is +353 873492524.
    ---------------

• Reply to: Good floss work   2 weeks 4 days ago

Paul,

The sample cards and silk spools are typically available in shops catering to tyers who tie classical salmon flies, and I have seen (and bought) silk from dealers here in Denmark. Simply searching for Japanese silk floss gives a lot of possible sources for original Japanese silk.

Regarding places in Japan, I'm not able to help you right off the bat. Finding locations there will probably require some research. I have a few Japanese fly tyers in my network, and I can try asking around, but my guess is that doing some online research might unearth some tips. Silk is typically connected with kimonos in Japan and combining silk, floss and kimono may give something.

I tried: https://www.google.com/search?q=silk+floss+factory+japan and https://www.google.com/search?q=silk+floss+kimono+factory+japan and these searches did give some pointers that could be useful.

I'll see if I can find more.

• Reply to: Good floss work   2 weeks 4 days ago

I am visiting multiple cities in Japan next month. I am looking for the source that the author used to buy their silk and sample card and am wondering if there is a retail source I can visit during my trip. Thank you so much for your time.

• Reply to: Fly Tying Thread Table   4 weeks 1 day ago

Peter,

Your findings match my own experiences with almost any spooled material: tinsel, wire, monofilament ... you name it. We can't use terms like small, medium, large, wide, narrow, thin, thick for anything! We need absolute measurements in fractions of an inch or millimeter (preferably both), so that there can be no doubt and things can be compared.

And don't get me started on hooks where the problem is the same. I have worked on an article on hook sizes, which is just as confusing with numbered sizes that vary wildly from company to company and are totally crazy even from the same manufacturer.

It's 2024 and you'd think that the industry would be as interested as us consumers in updating these measures and units, of which most were invented up towards two centuries ago.

But that doesn't seem to be the case. We're stuck with 1/0, 5 weight, medium and all kinds of odd and almost useless units.

My thread table is a feeble try to get a little order into that part of our world. I'm glad it's helpful.

• Reply to: Fly Tying Thread Table   1 month 22 hours ago

Thank you Martin, This is really helpful! Compiling it and updating it must take a lot of work, Thank you so much.
    I recently entered a fly tying competition run by a print and digital magazine I subscripe to. The first fly is tied on a size 12 hook, the second on a size 10 hook. What I find confusing in the materials list is 'Fine Silver Wire'. I checked my stock from 3 different manufacturers, Measured by vernier calliper my discovery is as follows:
    Veniards:Fine: 0.125mm (No. 27) ( actual 0.12mm), Medium: 0.155mm (No. 26), Large/Wide: 0.185mm (No. 25).
    Uni-Soft: Small 0.15mm (No. 33) Between medium and large?, UTC Wire:X-Small: 0.1mm, Small: 0.16mm, Brassie: 0.22mm
    Medium: 0.32mm.
    Fly-Box: Micro/Small 0.10mm, Medium 0.20mm.
    Again not much consistency across the sizes, so I guess we need to purchase from different suppliers so we can match diameters to the fly we are tying. This doesn't help us elderly folk dependant on our retirement pension!
    Across my stock Small varies from 0.15mm, 0.16mm, 0.10mm.
    Meduim varies from 0.155mm, 0.32mm, 0.20mm.
    Thank you Martin for excellent work as always.
    Best regards
    Peter Jackson

• Reply to: Chain Worm   1 month 3 days ago

Hey Nick,
    Thanks for the heads-up on that fly tying video by Piscator. I had not seen it before at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRrTmAWvF2I
    Cheers!
    Rory

• Reply to: Chain Worm   1 month 4 days ago

Hi Rory,
    Glad you liked the worm.I looked up Ridj-bak flies and found a You Tube video on a Steelhead pattern that looked good. I've used chain along the back of a curved hook to tie shrimps with a dubbing loop wound between the beads and then a shell back pulled over.
    Cheers, Nick