• Reply to: Pearl Cathy's Coat   1 week 4 days ago

excellent video on fly tying

• Reply to: Hot melt glue   1 month 2 days ago

I recall reading about someone casting bullets from hot melt gun (for shooting mice inside their home), on the cast boolits discussion board site. So you could probably cast round fishing weights as well. Which could then be placed on hooks to make salmon/trout egg 'flies'. At worst you might need to slice them open to slip the hook in and then glue them back together or heat the cut and press them back together, around the hook shaft.

• Reply to: Parachute mayfly   1 month 2 weeks ago

Looks like something Ulf hagstrom or Chris Sandford would tie.

• Reply to: Fly fishing leader construction   1 month 3 weeks ago

Kristjan,

When I make furled leaders using mono I use very thin mono and usually end it in a loop. To this loop I attach a piece of mono and I then attach the tippet to that.

It's true that the tip of the furled leader is fairly thick when using mono - when ending with four strands it's of course four times the thickness of the line you furl. So the trick is to keep it thin, but even with a 0.10 mm line you will still end up with a 0.40 mm tips as you also mention, and will need a further "step" down.

I typically fish a 0.20 or 0.25 mm tippet in my fishing, so a piece of 0.30mm of about 30-50 cm will suffice to give a proper taper. I also use this piece as a "wear piece" that I can cut down when changing tippet, and exchange completely when it becomes too short.

For thinner tippets - like for stream fishing - I use furled leaders made from tying thread, in which case the tip is much thinner, and this problem rarely occurs.

I hope this helps

• Reply to: Fly fishing leader construction   1 month 3 weeks ago

Hello, First let me say I love your website! It is a constant source of information for me.

So, my question is about tapered furled leaders, more so with tip diameter. If I look at the table of butt section diameters, at the end of this article, I can get the butt sections in the appropriate diameter, for example ca. .55mm for 5 wt.
    But using the same material, my tip diameter is about .40mm which seems a bit much to tie on 0.14mm tippet.

No matter what diameter mono I use the leader tip always seems too large for tippet. The only solution I found until now is to do a two part furled leader, where I first furl 4 strands and then marry the 4 strands furled mono to the actual furled leader via loop to loop. The taper comes out to 22-18-14-10-6-4, when using the formula from this site.

Is the large jump in diameter ok, am I just being overpedantic? Should I tie tapers before tippet or is there any other trick to get a good taper from the tip of the furled leader to tippet?

• Reply to: Silky Scud   1 month 3 weeks ago

GDay Martin. Surprised to se my video here, very cool. Last place I would have expected to be given the participants and audience. Anyway, glad you found it interesting enough to warrant posting. Take care.

• Reply to: The Water’s Violin   2 months 5 days ago

Thank you Kate. I am not sure what part of Bartok’s violin piece inspired me. Thank you for your comments. They are helpful and encouraging. If you get a chance read Simon’s Daughter. It is the 2021 Robert Traver Fly- Fishing Writing Award Story in the Spring 2022, The American Fly Fisher, which is the Journal of the American Museum of Fly Fishing. If you can’t find a copy of the journal I can send it as an attachment to you if you send me your e-mail. Mine is jedtfeffer@aol.com. Thanks again Kate. By the way Karl Eric Leitzel created the photos, not me. Cheers, Jed

• Reply to: Trevor Morgan   2 months 6 days ago

I still want the lines. I’m having trouble posting. I hope this works.

• Reply to: Trevor Morgan   2 months 6 days ago

Yes I am interested if you have them. Especially the 7 wt. single hand line. I’d probably be interested in others though too.

• Reply to: The Water’s Violin   2 months 17 hours ago

Great job on comparing fly casting to the bowing of a violin. You are referring to a slow movement of one of the Hungarian, or Romanian folk dances??
    Yes, casting horizontally might meet the bowing motion. Your poem is wonderful, it describes a day on a stream very well. Casting a fly can be poetry in motion; it is a peaceful thought provoking activity.
    It is nice to have the thought interrupted by a hungry fish. Then we go back to the unfinished poem. Your photographic and poetic abilities are a special gift, please continue to pursue them. You chose wisely to select Karl Eric Leitzel’s watercolor painting to accompany your poem.
    Thank you very much for sharing with us.

• Reply to: Garret Booth   2 months 2 weeks ago
    hi

Hi Uncle Garret

• Reply to: Baitfish Perdigon   3 months 4 days ago

Nick Thomas, who has been contributing a lot to this web site recently, has several similar flies. Check out his youtube channel and we site.