• Reply to: Fish Art for the Stars   1 week 3 days ago

Mr. Bob Witzel's paintings are very beautiful, he is seen to be a great fisherman and a good fan of watercolors. This is also something that happens to me, fishing and drawing ... thanks for sharing a hug to everyone.

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   1 week 5 days ago

Thanks Martin for the calm, reasoned reply to this complaint. I just want to enjoy the wide array of content on GFF with my morning coffee, not put up with CRAP complaints. There is frost on the pumpkin here in Ontario, Canada this morning so my thoughts are turning to Steelhead fishing and tying flies. Keep up the good work for your truly Global audience.

• Reply to: These videos will make you a better fly tyer   3 weeks 10 hours ago

what a fantastic resource for novice (and experienced) fly tyers, thanks a lot for all the effort you've clearly invested in planning, shooting, editing and publishing these videos. kind regards from the Netherlands, Onno

• Reply to: CDC & Partridge Caddis   1 month 1 week ago

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing one of my videos.
    I am very glad you liked it (cdc and partridge caddis, by oholis flies).
    Best regards

Vladimir

• Reply to: Flies Photo Gadget v2.0   1 month 1 week ago

Richard,

These were shot with a DSLR, my Nikon D300s mounted with an old 55mm macro. I have experimented with both my phone, a compact camera and my SLR's, but since I want the best possible image quality, the SLR's are my favorites to used with the gadget. But as you can see in the review of the previous version, even phone pictures can come out nice.

• Reply to: Flies Photo Gadget v2.0   1 month 1 week ago

Thank you for the review. What camera / phone did you use for the two flies shown above?

• Reply to: New York Salmon fishing   1 month 2 weeks ago

There is a huge hole in the ground behind the Salmon River Fish Hatchery in Altmar. After salmon are stripped of spawn and dispatched they are thrown in the hole and buried. The salmon carcasses cannot be transported because they are classified as toxic waste. Have fun, but don't take them home to eat.

• Reply to: Unbelievably fast-sinking lines???   1 month 2 weeks ago

Beach casters use a small cloth bag with a draw string as a weight. Fill it with sand. Use 2 to 6 lb test tippet to attach it to leader. When it reaches depth, a sharp strip can break it off. This is not cast, just feed it over off the boat. I use a coated lead core 30 ft head, heavy flies, and a non-stretch running line. The bags are cheap,sand is free, and it is non-polluting.

• Reply to: Squirmy Worm   1 month 4 weeks ago

Hi,
    Could you give me the reason for using hot spots and if using holographic, for example mylar tinsel on fly model on the back of the body, or other flash materials. Does increase the number of strikes? On the other hand, does this work on all species of trout or is it only suitable for rainbow trout? Could you provide me some published article about this subject?
    Thank you.

• Reply to: Creative GeWe Wet Flies   2 months 10 hours ago

I have and love this little book by my friend Geert. He is a special person and his flies show that on all levels. Great stuff and his work inspires one to remember tying is supposed to be fun!!

• Reply to: Tool Tip: Hair Stackers   2 months 1 day ago

Sal,

I have tried to get a hold of one myself, but failed. It's made by US tyer Joe Libeu, but I haven't had success in ordering one. I will follow up on it.

• Reply to: Tool Tip: Hair Stackers   2 months 2 days ago

Can you tell me where I might purchase one of these?