• Reply to: Squirmy Worm   2 days 26 min ago

Hi,
    Could you give me the reason for using hot spots and if using holographic, for example mylar tinsel on fly model on the back of the body, or other flash materials. Does increase the number of strikes? On the other hand, does this work on all species of trout or is it only suitable for rainbow trout? Could you provide me some published article about this subject?
    Thank you.

• Reply to: Creative GeWe Wet Flies   4 days 3 hours ago

I have and love this little book by my friend Geert. He is a special person and his flies show that on all levels. Great stuff and his work inspires one to remember tying is supposed to be fun!!

• Reply to: Tool Tip: Hair Stackers   5 days 4 hours ago

Sal,

I have tried to get a hold of one myself, but failed. It's made by US tyer Joe Libeu, but I haven't had success in ordering one. I will follow up on it.

• Reply to: Tool Tip: Hair Stackers   6 days 2 hours ago

Can you tell me where I might purchase one of these?

• Reply to: Edwards' Little Ant   1 week 4 days ago

Japanese Nymph Legs is a product very similar to the synthetic bristles from a broom that the Author uses. They are very similiar in size but are made of a slightly different material that makes shaping them a bit easier. I use an adjustable heat soldering tool and have through trial and error figured out the best temperature for melting the bends in the legs without melting through the material. The JNLs are available at retail from a few shops, mostly those that have a section for realistic fly tying.

• Reply to: Midnight Sea Trout   4 weeks 1 day ago

Porpoises are impossible to avoid, and released sea trout released in their presence suffer a 100% mortality rate. I have quite a few old, rusty fly hooks [NOT stainless steel]. in size 12 or smaller. Before I release a trout I pin one of these small, rusty hooks (no line attached) lightly in the corner of the trout's mouth. Porpoises have a very sensitive sonar system. I have watched them veer away from sea trout with a hook in its mouth.

• Reply to: Susquehanna Smallmouth patterns   1 month 2 days ago

Enjoyed reading your article on Susquehanna small mouth flies, I lived in Pa. most of my life and small mouths were my favoite spiecies to fish for , first with spinning gear and then with the fly rod , I would visit clousers fly shop in the winter to get next seasons fishing license, and just talk with Bob and his wife Joan, and sometims Bobby jr. if he was there , floated the Susquehanna with my buddy at the Fabridam in Sunbury Pa. the PP+L dam just outside of Sunbury, catching smallies all summer and an occasional Walleye and in October the Walleyes would turn on , also a gem of mine Mahantango creek on Northumberland side near its confluence with the Susquehanna , and my go to fly was a bass Clouser minnow, in size 4 , lost and landed many a nice smallmouth with my personal best being 18 1/2", I ve since move to North Carolina and ive put the rod up for now, closest bass water for smallies is 2 hr drive one way now , good luck with future articles ,great job

• Reply to: River Snook   1 month 2 days ago

As always, check with a reliable source about local conditions before you finalize your plans and pay your money. Freshwater lakes, rivers, and lagoons in Florida have been increasingly plagued by toxic algae blooms and widespread fish kills. Southwest Florida has not escaped the pollution expanding through Florida waters.

• Reply to: Midnight Sea Trout   1 month 1 week ago

Fish species with the largest eyes in relation to their body mass are most likely to feed at night.

• Reply to: Winding a folded feather   1 month 1 week ago

Martin your series of tying tips with Wayne is a perfect addition to all the recipe vids. Each one of these clips is specific and useful. Wayne is of course such an outstanding talent. Thanks for making them available.

Cheers, Ken

• Reply to: Home for Salmon   1 month 2 weeks ago

Hats Off To You Guys For Doing A Great Job,I'me From Newfoundland , Canada, I Loved All Off The Video, Again Great Job And Keep Up The Good Work.

• Reply to: Unbelievably fast-sinking lines???   1 month 4 weeks ago

You can solve this issue easily by using two full-sinking fly lines, connected end-to-end. To prevent tangling, you will want to have the boat drifting or moving slightly after the first line is casted and paid out, then when you have the line straightened out, you feed out the second line, sinking portion first, then running line. Both lines will hang down in the water, if they are each 100ft lines, and there is no current, the fly will get to 200ft depth, eventually. More likely, there is some current, and the extra line will allow you to control how deep the fly gets and the angle of presentation. Secondarily, the running line sinks slower and responds to current more than the sinking sections - this may pose a risk of tangles if you pay out too much line all at once, but it also provides for a unique motion to the fly, because the fly will follow the pattern of the line though the water if the line is slack and not straightened out - it will follow a curve, or even an s-curve, if that is the shape of the line in the water. There is no water too deep to fish with a fly line, unless there is wind and current. In high winds and current, you may find that a double sinking line of 200ft length only gets the fly 30-40ft down on a fast drift. A double line set-up also allows for normal casting, as the second line acts as backing when not in use. Using gel-spun backing under the second line is advisable as it uses up less space on the reel. This type of set-up can be used in any line weight for any deep water fish.