• Reply to: Karel Liška   1 week 1 day ago

You mentioned that he used three patterns. What were the other two patterns?

• Reply to: The Mighty Green Drake   1 week 1 day ago

Great article, nice drwings, the last one interesting as potential tattoo idea. Thank you.

• Reply to: Zug Bug   1 week 4 days ago

Thanks, Davie, for revisiting this old classic. The first fly I ever cast some 60 years ago was a Zug Bug and while I was struggling to learn to fish and tie flies the Zug Bug and Hornberg were the only flies in my humble box. I will always have a special place in my heart for those classic flies.

• Reply to: DIY Vacuum Rod Holder   2 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks for this great DIY post! I would love to try it. But what about fly rods without butts behind the reel seat? I would not feel comfortable positioning the reel *below* the bar. Seems like an adjustment to the recipe is needed. Any ideas? Maybe an additional set of bungees that loop behind the reel stem?

• Reply to: The Mighty Green Drake   2 weeks 3 days ago

Very helpful and comprehensive article, complete with video links to fly tying of different life stages. Well worth a read, and book-marking this page.

• Reply to: Don't freeze   3 weeks 1 day ago

As an avid steelheader I have tried them all. Insulated boot foot breathables from Cabela's waterfowl selection are hands down the best. Yes, a tad less ankle support but the trade off for all day warmth is more than worth it. For about $200 you can't go wrong.

• Reply to: Anatomy of A Salmon Fly   3 weeks 2 days ago

Thank you, really really helpful.
    Correct proportion information and where to tie in specific parts of the fly is so relevant. I have also searched many times for what I may call 'hints & tips' or 'tricks of the trade', as there are several techniques used in salmon fly tying that are not obvious to the new comer to fly tying.
    For example, I have often doubled a hackle and pulled the barbs back as the hackle is wound. But it was not until I watched Ally Gowan's video on tying his Ally's Shrimp that I saw how easy it was to double a hackle by running the blade of a pair of scissors down the hackle shaft! To me sheer genius.
    There's a book to be written (or video to be made) that could be a 'good little earner' by someone who has the gift, in compiling Salmon Flytying - Hints & Tips and Tricks of the Trade.

• Reply to: Autumn Colours - Taff Grayling   3 weeks 2 days ago

Beautifully filmed, with nice scenes. However, this film could benefit from severe editing, as we saw multiple repeat scenes of the same thing. A 10-15 minute film could have been more powerful than the repetitious 24 minute epic. Less would have been more, in this atmospheric homage to autumnal fishing for Grayling.

• Reply to: Phlex Phlyz... Is it still tyin' if there's no thread?!   3 weeks 6 days ago

I appreciate your kind words Pete. Your own contributions has helped lift the site, so don't be too humble! ;-)

I know the publishing pace has been slow lately, but as you say: why is it the young who have all the youth? I could use a dose of 25 year old Martin now and then, but for some reason he doesn't really appear when I need him.

Such is life...

• Reply to: Phlex Phlyz... Is it still tyin' if there's no thread?!   4 weeks 1 day ago

Time Phlies...! and Youth is WASTED on the young...! Martin, your globalflyfisher continues to be beacon of light that keeps me off the rocks... Cheeerz!

• Reply to: Perrault's Standard   3 weeks 6 days ago

Keith was a friend of mine.

The reviewer is correct that the original munuscript was done on a dot matrix printer, it was all typed by Keith on a word processor, if any remember what that was. It was sort of in between what a typewriter was and a PC is now. It took him many years of research, much of it through talking to individual tyers, many of whom were well known pros from the classic era of the 40s, 50s and 60s.

It was his labor of love and bid for immortality. The drawings we're indeed hand drawn, by him, on to pages he'd printed out. The thin paper stock is a result of his investors pulling out at the last minute and was a disappointment to him. He faced the choice of changing to lightweight paper or publishing in paperback form. He chose the more substantial appearance of a hardbound edition.

He continued to collect newer patterns by modern tyers to be included in a hoped for second edition which was never published. Keith hawked his books in person, to flyshops and individuals. He completed and self-pollinated his life's work while living in Orlando, FL then moved to Ennis, MT to be where the trout are.

He died in Ennis on August 3 2006 at the age of 83. He was a good man and was very giving of his time and knowledge to any interested in taking up fly-fishing and/or tying. One of my prized possessions, along with an inscribed copy of this book, is a bamboo flyrod he built from scratch and gave me for Christmas in 1985.

His last name is pronounced "per-row".

• Reply to: Preserving Feathers   1 month 1 week ago

Giovanni,

The article on Raising chickens also talks about preserving full skins, necks and saddles. I have used the simple method described, and have skins that are more than 15 years old, prepared with this method and still good looking.