• Reply to: Deer Hair Hackle Dry Fly   3 months 1 week ago

Thank you Michael!!!... for this demonstration of ingenuity, knowledge of material propertys and wisdom. Simple and definitely Effective!

• Reply to: A heartfelt thank you!   3 months 2 weeks ago

Eric,

Sure I do promote older material now and then, but there's also new material coming out. Not as much as I'd like, but certainly some.

Published until now in January:

Published in December 2020:

You can see an overview over all publishing activity here:

I'm constantly trying to add new reviews, articles, patterns, galleries, videos and such, but I'm a one man show and depend on others to contribute if I am to increase the frequency of new articles.

• Reply to: A heartfelt thank you!   3 months 2 weeks ago

Hi - I love the site and I am concerned about the future of it. All of my favorite posts are several to many years old. Is this site going to continue bringing wonderful articles, fly recipes, photos, and other information? I hope it will - I only recently found it and I don't want to lose it.

• Reply to: Foam Body Unsinkable Olive Elk Hair Caddis   4 months 3 days ago

Very nice and eficient fly
    Albert

• Reply to: Twined or furled leaders   4 months 6 days ago

Hi , this might be a long shot but I’m looking to get in touch with a mr Ian Warrilow who made a comment on this post please.
    I bought a used 2 piece fly rod with his name and date the rod was built on it in 92 . It’s a beautiful rod that he built but would like some more information on the rod .

Many thanks
    Spencer

• Reply to: Green Highlander   4 months 1 week ago

Dear Steve, ... please enlighten me, which of the original components of Green Higlander, which in 2014 celebrated 100 years since its public appearance in Dr. Pryce Tannatt's book, ”How to Dress Salmon Flies” (1914), -Did you keep it very close to the original, so that what you present to us here can be entitled to bear this name of honor? If you ask me, none, ... and what I see is a variation on the green theme, which to prevent it from getting lost in the grass on the river bank, has a little orange and a yellow hackel. Please, below, on the GFF home page, you have the pictures of a Green Higlander that respects the proportions and components of the original. After comparing what you presented with what you see in those pictures, please come back and give me an answer.

• Reply to: Fly tying lamps   4 months 1 week ago

Recently saw this video on Youtube illustrating how to make a flex arm lamp using a LED panel: it's surprisingly inexpensive. https://youtu.be/JL3uZ88vA_0
    I've filed this on away just in case; my 30 year old Giraffe lamp with an LED bulb is still a terrific light source and no where near the end of its useful life.

• Reply to: Trevor Morgan   4 months 1 week ago

I know it’s a long shot, but I seriously love the Trevor Morgan fly lines I have. I really want to buy more. Nobody has found him or a source for his lines have you?

• Reply to: Hot melt glue   4 months 1 week ago

I’d say it is in general between 110°C/230°F and 200°C/392°F. When I tie flies with hot glue, I normally prefer as high temperature as possible, when I purchase a hot glue gun it should be rated 220°C/428°F to 230°C/446°F. But there is a big difference in melting temperatures of commonly available hot/melt glues and how runny the get at a given temperature. I used to tie/make shrimp flies for the salt with hot glue combined with "Super hair" or "Ultra hair". It was a quicker and practical alternative to epoxy, that always set without sticky surface, smell and the melt glue on its on actually floats, which i not a bad thing for lot's of fly designs.

• Reply to: Muddler   4 months 1 week ago

A very nicely done video. Beautifully photographed and displayed. Speaking is not necessary unless there is a special tecnique that requires some explanation. I always like to see a list of materials in tying videos. Keep up the good work.

• Reply to: Alan (Alberta Al) Grombacher   4 months 4 weeks ago

Personally contact me, please.

Vern

• Reply to: Thunder & Lightning   5 months 1 week ago

@flytyer57
    Why do you think I started this Thunder & Lightening discussion? A demonstration of how smart I am? I guarantee you that the answer is NO! I don't think I need to prove anything to you. ... and then I ask you again, why? I was waiting for a concrete reaction from you, which would materialize in something visible, but maybe you didn't understand why I commented. Maybe now you understand that I tried to suggest something with my intervention. :)