• Reply to: Trophy rainbows in Slovakia   2 months 3 weeks ago

I admit that fly fishing is an extremely interesting and addictive hobby and the passion of those who practice it shows us the wide range of people's creativity. But what is the essence of this occupation that fascinates all practitioners is to trick a fish into grabbing an artificial creation, in many cases a creation of their own hands. It is a long process that begins in front of the vise and ends with the catching of an artificial fly by a fish. The road to the tackes is and must remain the ultimate pleasure.

That I can explain and understand many of people's obsessive fixations, which can sometimes lead to bigotry, does not exclude the fact that fanatics generally lack balance in their personal lives. But in many cases, it is a fanaticism disguised by the interest for economic gain and then the "passion" is the subject of a well-argued exposure in the public space. A marketing (which we already know very well how much truth it contains) to attract attention and capture the interest of those who have the opportunity to finance a fad. Now that it's a Swiss watch that costs as much as a house for ordinary people, a special car brand, an exclusive wine bottle, a smart phone dressed in svarowschi crystals or diamonds, a yacht ... or a trophy fish , it doesn't really matter.

Dear confreres, keep fly fishing simple, enjoy the road to the tackings and the creation process. Not to mention that just being on the edge of a gin clear river in the middle of a wonderful nature is a blessing. As in many other human activities, size does not matter. A trophy fish is in many cases a matter of personal interpretation. For me, for example, it can be a 0.500g chub in a 3m wide stream, which I fallow for hours, sometimes days, so that in the end I manage to trick him into taking the fly presented with a # 1 -2 fly fishing rod, or a 1-2kg sea trout parked in a Scandinavian pool, almost impossible to approach with a fishing rod. The more complicated the situation, the greater the desire to overcome all obstacles. Greetings to all of you. Pierre

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   2 months 4 weeks ago

Martin,
    I truely admire your patience - what an answer! In german there is a word for such people - I'm afraid it's "Klugscheisser" (may he look for translation&meaning himself) Keep on rolling with your superb work! All the best, aª

• Reply to: Red Frances   3 months 1 week ago

Eiður,

You are so right! My bad. I put the wrong label on the fly. I fished the Snælda many times and should know the difference.
    Thanks.

• Reply to: Red Frances   3 months 1 week ago

This isn't "Red Snælda". This is the Red Frances

• Reply to: Building a Better Bugger   3 months 2 weeks ago

I tie my buggers very similar to this but prefer to add a wire rib. The wire is tied in just before the chenille is tied in. Then after Palmering the hackle back, use the wire to tie down the hackle and then continue spiral wrapping it all the way up to the bead. This method thus makes it unnecessary to wrap the thread back over the chenille prior to wrapping the hackle. Also, the wire is a little more robust at holding down the hackle versus having exposed thread wraps doing it.

• Reply to: Soft Hackle Holographic Spider   3 months 2 weeks ago

The holographic tinsel looks more like opalescent tinsel to me. Is it Flashabou, perhaps?

• Reply to: Grey Wulff variant   3 months 4 weeks ago

Great video bud.
    Thanks

• Reply to: Shooting heads   3 months 4 weeks ago

You can easily make any line into a shooting head. Simply cut your line 30' back from the tip and needle-knot 20# mono running line/backing to the 30' head. The chief drawback will be the inability to mend line in a cast more than 30' long.

• Reply to: Leader formulas   4 months 6 days ago

Johan,

I didn't write the article, so I'm not quite sure when I say this: but you are probably right.

The "60% rule" is most likely more a rule-of-thumb to use if you want to have a starting point for a leader. As you have seen, many of the leaders in the system uses quite different formulas and principles, and most of them are based on real life fishing, and many hours of testing and adjusting.

Regarding Ritz' book, it's an older title, and it comes from a time where mono lines were different from what they are now, which may be the reason for these general rules. My experience is that most of the leaders in LeaderCalc will work as they are designed and shown, even though most will not follow Ritz' principles - not even those bearing his name. I have of course only tried a fraction of them, but they all come from reliable sources and have been used for many years by many anglers.

• Reply to: Leader formulas   4 months 1 week ago

60% of the line diameter it writes. Is this really relevant?

My flyline tips vary from SH #5 0,75mm to DH #12 1,3mm.
    60% of 1,3mm is 0,78mm. But 0,55mm is the butt diameter of all LCalc formuals I found for DH. The 75% butt diameter mentioned makes this even more peculiar.
    I read that material stiffness is to take in to consideration. And maybe flyline and leader materials changed over time?

The numbers make better sense in smaller flyline diameters. But still many formulas span across 4-5 AFTM classes. Showing little connection to this "60% rule".

I looked up this book on the Internet. It looks very interesting. I better read it. Maybe this is considered a "fly fishermans bible"? But I can not see that the 60% connection to butt diameters applies. And therefore; is this really relevant to us?

Maybe there is something I don't fully understand? I'd love to get my grips arund this matter, simply because I tie leaders.

• Reply to: LeaderCalc Download   5 months 1 week ago

Martin thank you very much for the very fast response. I look forward to tying my own leaders and appreciate all the work that has been done to help us neophytes enter a new area of our very rewarding sport / pastime.

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Walter

• Reply to: LeaderCalc Download   5 months 1 week ago

Walter,

I see that you might be referring to the spreadsheet for download, while I'm referring to the online system. In the spreadsheet nothing is editable. this is a very old system, which is not maintained anymore. Use the updated online system in stead. It's much more up to date: https://globalflyfisher.com/leadercalc