• Reply to: Collie Dog Tube Fly - Fly fishing en Río Grande Tierra del Fuego Argentina   1 year 1 month ago

Looks more like a Sunray Shadow with the White in the wing. Original Collie was just Black !

• Reply to: GFF Survived!   1 year 1 month ago

glad you are better ,, our health is all we have ,, best of the holidays to you ,,,, cbm

• Reply to: GFF Survived!   1 year 1 month ago

Good to hear you're back in the saddle at GFF, Martin. Best wishes to you and yours and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Reply to: Perrault's Standard   1 year 1 month ago

Funny that this book comes out to us again. Yes, Keith compiled a huge dictionary of patterns. And yes, it is not consistent in type or print. I have a copy also signed by the author. He signed it for me at his shop in Ennis, Mt. on July 7, 1989. The thing is that although this book is terrible it was the work that Keith did on, or should I say to, bamboo rods that was worse. He single handily ruined several cane rods in that he would strip the finish and then die the blank in black ink. The rods were then displayed at his shop. I remember an entire line of black rods that he had destroyed. I cannot remember the makers of the rods but whoever they were are probably still rolling in their respective graves.
    Mark

• Reply to: Elk Hair Caddis   1 year 1 month ago

Ipatfly,

I think the Dyneema 55 is Roman Moser Power Silk Dyneema Thread GSP 8/0 which is sometimes referred to as Dyneema 55. I'll check with Barry and post his reply here.

• Reply to: GFF Survived!   1 year 1 month ago

HI Martin - Glad to hear you are on the mend. Thank you for all you do for the fly fishing world. We all appreciate this as the best and most informative website for our fly fishing community. God Bless,
    Jack Harford

• Reply to: Elk Hair Caddis   1 year 1 month ago

In your video "Tying the Elk Hair Caddis with Barry Ord Clarke Sept. 28, 2016" in the comments you mentioned you use Dyneema 55 thread. Is 55 a product # or is it the Denier size? I cannot find "55" in Dyneema or Veevus search.

• Reply to: Fish Skull Sparkle Minnow   1 year 1 month ago

hans ties terrefic flies and his instrucion are first rate. He has a great site with hundreds of fly tutorial,G

• Reply to: Salty Sardinia   1 year 1 month ago

Hi Jack, yes they do, jumping, running and putting a nice bend into the 8 weight, ,

• Reply to: The measure tape   1 year 2 months ago

Brian,

Thanks for the comment, and yes, I have similar experiences with both glass and bamboo rods. They are such a joy to fish and cast with - not to mention catch - and the casting distance is much more dependent on your technique than the nature of the rod.

• Reply to: Privacy policy   1 year 2 months ago

Carl,

Thanks for noticing. I try to keep the mumble jumble to a minimum - and also try to keep the tracking to a minimum. Cookies are used as a tool to help users and improve the site, and not to keep track of your shoe size or what side you sleep on at night... ;-)

• Reply to: Privacy policy   1 year 2 months ago

Martin, I got to the box about “Of course we use cookies…” on your home page and out of curiosity, clicked on the more info link. I just wanted to thank you for the clarity and brevity of information on what data you collect and how you use it. In opposition to so many things that I have to agree to in order to use many sites, apps and programs, yours actually was written to be understood and add clarity, rather than obfuscate with excessive length and legalese.