• Reply to: Betters' Flies   7 months 2 weeks ago

Marvelous collection of flies. His flies have done quite well on another West Branch also, the West Branch of the Penobscot River in Maine. I didn’t know about focusing on the hair between the toes. Thanks for posting this

• Reply to: Betters' Flies   7 months 2 weeks ago

• Reply to: Twined or furled leaders   7 months 2 weeks ago

I have wanted to try these furled leaders, after 20 years of being frustrated at the store bought leaders(that always need to be stretched straight) - i used the one piece method, looping into the 2nd side, and they work great...more than great. i wish i knew how to do this from the beginning, and this article was very helpful - i could not have guessed that changing to a furled leader would help my casting accuracy this much. It makes me wonder how the factory made extruded leaders ever got popular at all?

• Reply to: The Perfect Seven   7 months 2 weeks ago

Hi Karsten
    Thanks for your nice comment.

Regarding your trip to Iceland, I know these places very well. Fished quite a lot on the lower part of Blanda where there in June and July usually is a lot of action.
    Both river you are fishing are under Icelandic circumstances larger river and fished best with 12-13 feet double hand rods. They also are fishing best with tubes like the HKA sunray. On the Blanda, I have had me best fishing on large hitch tubes and that is even locals say you need big flies and to get down. - Not my experience, only of the water is colored. That can happen on both river!!! So bring a sink tip for sure.

• Reply to: Double Down Shrimp   7 months 3 weeks ago

Learn how to make double shrimp fly

• Reply to: Claret Bumble   7 months 3 weeks ago

Mark,

My guess is that Guinea Fowl dyed blue would do well. The coarser feathers would very likely be able to do what the blue jay fibers do here.

• Reply to: Claret Bumble   7 months 3 weeks ago

I occasionally find Blue Jay feathers but, what would be a good substitute for the Jay feathers?

• Reply to: Squiggle Worm   7 months 3 weeks ago

I tye this hibrid fly for years. I use this hibrid for bass. See my Instagram page @duferraro_flyfishing

• Reply to: The Perfect Seven   8 months 4 days ago

Dear Nils,

thank you for your interesting and very helpful post about salmon fishing in Iceland‘s rivers with single handed rods!

I hopefully will be travelling to Iceland this June after the trip has been postponed twice due to corona reasons.

We will be fishing the Brenan(Sea)Pool of the Thvera and the lower part of the Blanda.

Do you have Andy experience with the fishing on those rivers and have you maybe and recommendations regarding the tacke?

I am looking forward to maybe hearing from you.

Kind regards from northern Germany!

Karsten

• Reply to: DIY wooden landing net   8 months 1 week ago

Much the easiest way to achieve a consistent groove, is to rout it out before steaming/bending.

• Reply to: Antistatic Buzzer   8 months 3 weeks ago

Rob,

I'm sure no one claims that Davie invented the flies he ties - least of all himself. He may not credit every pattern to the originator in his videos, but he certainly doesn't say that all the patterns are his.

• Reply to: Scissors for fly tying   8 months 3 weeks ago

Jed, (sorry for my mistaking your name when first posting)

I find the Renomed scissors superior to various razor scissors that I have tried. I haven't used the Tiemco razors, but only their coarser Deer hair scissors, which I indeed have had and used for decades, but also have degraded to rougher work. Their tips are no nearly as fine as those of the razor models or the pointed Renomed models.

As mentioned in the article, most (read: all) razor scissors seem to come out of the same mold, just being branded differently by the sellers. You can find some inexpensive no-name razor scissors to try. In my experience they are exactly the same as the more expensive brand name models. The Renomeds are unique and unlike other scissors on the market, and my preferred tool in my day-to-day tying. But they are of course also quite expensive.

I hope this helps