• Reply to: LeaderCalc Download   5 months 1 week ago

Walter,

You can't edit the formulas (recipes) themselves. They aren't printed on the label, so that wouldn't make much sense anyway.

All the other things that go on the label are editable. They are shown in a form before you go the the "clean" labels to print them, and are divided in two sections: Leader info and Your info.
    The First one is pre-filled from the leader you have chosen, but all fields can be changed as you please. The second section is empty, and there for you to fill with your personal details.
    So you can essentially edit everything that goes on the label.

If you have special leader formulas that you use and that work well, you can share them by sending them to me. I can then add them to the long list of existing formulas. It won't make a huge difference for label printing, but will give you and others access to see variations of these formulas in the system.

• Reply to: LeaderCalc Download   5 months 1 week ago

I would like to edit some of the leader recipes to suit me and then print a label with the edits. Can I do that with this program?

• Reply to: Fly Fishing with Solo Canoes   5 months 1 week ago

Hi there - I loved the article on fly fishing from a solo canoe and plan to hit the water as soon as my canoe comes in. Has anyone tried using a SUP paddle to adjust your position on the water while standing?

• Reply to: Brushy Creek in Texas.   5 months 3 weeks ago

Thanks! So since releasing this lots of people have told me about the rope, crazy! But I didn’t know they eat snakes, how cool!

• Reply to: Brushy Creek in Texas.   5 months 3 weeks ago

I have never fished for gar but I do know that one of the best flies for them is just a hook with a piece of very frayed piece of rope tied to the hook. Fish it like a top water lure or spinner under water. Gar have lots of sharp teeth that easily get tangled in the frayed rope. Don't bother trying to remove the hook. Cut the hook off and tie another one on. A frayed length of strips of yarn also works. Gar eat snakes. Try swimming it like snake.

• Reply to: Durable flies: Wrapping thread   6 months 4 days ago

Such a great combination of basic principles and advanced tips and tricks! I really love this site. Thank you!

• Reply to: Make your own dubbing wax   6 months 1 day ago

Late to the party here, but you can go to a porting goods store and get a rosin bag, like is used in baseball and gymnastics, much cheaper than fiddle rosin, and no pounding.

• Reply to: Fishing a bubble   6 months 1 week ago

S,

It's very common in some places to use setups like this in rivers. In southern Europe, Spain in particular, fishing teams of wet flies under a float has been a traditional way of fishing flies. It's also mentioned in the article. Light rods, small floats and a fly or two on a tippet below the float should work fine.

• Reply to: Fishing a bubble   6 months 1 week ago

How should you fish this rig in a river?

• Reply to: A guide to fly-fishing for pike   6 months 2 weeks ago

I'd disagree about using a 6wt or 7wt for pike. While possible, not very easy or fun to cast large streamers. 8wt is fine with a 9-10wt opening a lot more opportunity to cast large streamers and poppers in the 6"-10" long range which seem to be the most common. I have 8wt and 10 wt rods and cast both floating and intermediate short taper lines like the Cortland Precision Compact series of lines.

• Reply to: Noé Tirado-Muñiz's crib   6 months 3 weeks ago

Nice work! I can appreciate custom DIY projects.... IMO, much better than commercialized products.

• Reply to: Wally Wing Fluttering Caddis   6 months 3 weeks ago

Wonderful tyer, makes it LOOK easy.