• Reply to: Claret Bumble   6 months 1 day ago

Mark,

My guess is that Guinea Fowl dyed blue would do well. The coarser feathers would very likely be able to do what the blue jay fibers do here.

• Reply to: Claret Bumble   6 months 1 day ago

I occasionally find Blue Jay feathers but, what would be a good substitute for the Jay feathers?

• Reply to: Squiggle Worm   6 months 3 days ago

I tye this hibrid fly for years. I use this hibrid for bass. See my Instagram page @duferraro_flyfishing

• Reply to: The Perfect Seven   6 months 1 week ago

Dear Nils,

thank you for your interesting and very helpful post about salmon fishing in Iceland‘s rivers with single handed rods!

I hopefully will be travelling to Iceland this June after the trip has been postponed twice due to corona reasons.

We will be fishing the Brenan(Sea)Pool of the Thvera and the lower part of the Blanda.

Do you have Andy experience with the fishing on those rivers and have you maybe and recommendations regarding the tacke?

I am looking forward to maybe hearing from you.

Kind regards from northern Germany!

Karsten

• Reply to: DIY wooden landing net   6 months 1 week ago

Much the easiest way to achieve a consistent groove, is to rout it out before steaming/bending.

• Reply to: Antistatic Buzzer   7 months 1 day ago

Rob,

I'm sure no one claims that Davie invented the flies he ties - least of all himself. He may not credit every pattern to the originator in his videos, but he certainly doesn't say that all the patterns are his.

• Reply to: Scissors for fly tying   7 months 1 day ago

Jed, (sorry for my mistaking your name when first posting)

I find the Renomed scissors superior to various razor scissors that I have tried. I haven't used the Tiemco razors, but only their coarser Deer hair scissors, which I indeed have had and used for decades, but also have degraded to rougher work. Their tips are no nearly as fine as those of the razor models or the pointed Renomed models.

As mentioned in the article, most (read: all) razor scissors seem to come out of the same mold, just being branded differently by the sellers. You can find some inexpensive no-name razor scissors to try. In my experience they are exactly the same as the more expensive brand name models. The Renomeds are unique and unlike other scissors on the market, and my preferred tool in my day-to-day tying. But they are of course also quite expensive.

I hope this helps

• Reply to: Scissors for fly tying   7 months 1 day ago

Martin, first thank you for your extensive research on scissors. Bravo!!! I have been leaning towards a pair of Tiemco tungsten Carbide razor scissors and the Deer Dresser Scissors also by Tiemco. That was until I read your comments about Renomed. In a video put on by Fish Food Fly, a shop in Utah, the owner compared the points of a variety of different scissors. The Tiemco scissors came to the finest points. Do you think the Renomed match the fineness of the Tiemco points?? You’ve had your Tiemco for more than 25 years. Why do you think the Renomed scissors are better than the Tiemcos?? Any help making my decision is very appreciated. Thank you Martin. Jed Feffer

• Reply to: Antistatic Buzzer   7 months 1 day ago

Contrary to popular belief, Davie McPhail didn't invent every fly in the universe, and he didn't invent this one either. The Antistatic buzzer was originated by Alex Ferguson of Leicester around 2008.

• Reply to: The Simplest Fly   7 months 1 week ago

just take a coffee bean and superglue it on a hook

• Reply to: Bead Head Pheasant Tail Nymph   7 months 1 day ago

Great video but I always like to know who makes the tools being used. I believe I saw loon but the bobkin?

• Reply to: Collie Dog Tube Fly - Fly fishing en Río Grande Tierra del Fuego Argentina   7 months 2 weeks ago

Looks more like a Sunray Shadow with the White in the wing. Original Collie was just Black !