• Reply to: Streamers 365 joins the Global FlyFisher!   5 months 2 weeks ago

Tom,

It was an offer I couldn't resist as it's said in a famous film...

When Darren reached out there wasn't much doubt in my mind, and even though the conversion was a fairly tough job, the result is great, and a valuable resource is preserved online.

• Reply to: Streamers 365 joins the Global FlyFisher!   5 months 2 weeks ago

Hello Martin: I think this is wonderful that you undertook this colossal merger and helped preserve all this beautiful information and keep it accessible for all of us. Thank you very, very much!
    Tom

• Reply to: Trevor Morgan   6 months 1 week ago

Dan,

I have no idea where to find Trevor Morgan's Javelin lines these days. I have lost contact with him many years ago, and can't find anywhere online where they are sold.

Sorry to be of so little help, but it seems like a dead end.

• Reply to: Trevor Morgan   6 months 1 week ago

I have a Trevor Morgan 7 wt single hand line and because I used it to cast bigger flies into a new area code, I started popping sections of my running line. I lone this line a lot. It lasted a really long time. However, I need another one badly. Where can I get one? Take my money please.

• Reply to: Fly Tying Thread Table   7 months 1 week ago

Darrel,

All the threads that have actual measures in millimetres have been measured by me. That gives me a pretty good confidence in the results, but of course with all the factors mentioned in this section regarding measuring the thickness of tying thread. It can - rightfully - be debated if these measures are the actual diameters of the threads, but the fact is that they are what I found using a consistent method and measuring all threads in several places - and from several spools if possible.

The whole point of this table and the article is to point out that almost any label on any thread has no direct connection with the actual thickness of the threads. Deniers, aughts and other designations simply don't compare to the physical thickness - oftentimes not even within the same brand. So it was no surprise to me finding two UTC threads, one "heavier" than the other, and the heavier one measuring as thinner than the light one.

• Reply to: Fly Tying Thread Table   7 months 1 week ago

How confident are you with the diameters listed for the UTC 210 and 280 denier threads? By definition, the 280 is a "heavier" thread but the diameter is listed at 0.069 while the diameter of the 210 is larger at 0.081. That seems odd because they are both made with the same nylon construction.

• Reply to: Wet Flies   7 months 1 week ago

Great article. Just started tying wet flies, after reading George Barron’s book. This article has added another dimension to my tying. Thanks

• Reply to: Betters' Flies   7 months 2 weeks ago

Hi - I fly fish for westslope cutthroat in the east kootenays; and these Betters' patterns are some of my go-tos. I've long wanted a copy of his out-of-print book on his patterns. Perhaps Stackpole or some other outdoors oriented publisher would do a run?? Thanks for the post.

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   8 months 1 day ago

Raske,

So true... amazing how we can provide free content and spend hours, days, weeks and years of work on it, and still there will be someone bitching in the most unappreciative way.
    I mostly just brush the critics off - unless they are constructive - but sometimes I feel the need to reply.

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   8 months 1 day ago

Well done brother Martin...some people are never satisfied...perhaps they're looking for a subscription refund? Oh wait...GFF is free isn't it?

• Reply to: Turkey, Greece, fly fishing?   8 months 1 week ago

Hi Feridun, I don't know if you check this site anymore of if you are still around. I am coming to Turkey in one week to try to find some good fly fishing. There is not much information on the internet, so your post above is the only piece of hope I have. I'm from a small mountain town in the west of the US called Sun Valley, and I love fly fishing. Please let me know if you can help. My email is bowenwilliams2012@gmail.com. Thank you!

• Reply to: Autumn Fly   8 months 1 week ago

@Martin & Allan
    An excellent article! ... as a whole. The pictures contribute very well to the atmosphere (I felt the taste of the sea water in my mouth and the smell of the freshly applied headcement), and the elegance of these presented flies, just embellish the overall impression. From my point of view, it is the best article written by you guys. Thank you !!! ... you made my eyes happy and you made my soul as a fly fisherman to sing and dance.