Published Sep 16. 2003 - 14 years ago
Updated or edited Oct 28. 2015

The Great Nymph Project, II

We're underway

Well, the Great Nymph Project has started.

This past weekend, I spun about 50 dubbing brushes for my first batch of nymphs. Each brush will make the bodies of two flies, so I've got about a hundred flies worth of dubbing completed. It took about an hour and a half, maybe two hours, to complete them all. That's not bad if you think about it - especially since that is the most time consuming part of making these nymphs. At this rate, by the time I finish, I'll probably average 20 flies per hour. I'm gonna try to keep track of the time invested, just to see what the final score is.

Making the brushes is pretty simple, expecially with Jan Simon's dubbing brush machine. The steps are basically, feed the wire into the machine, fill the trough with squirrel dubbing, sprinkle with holographic gold and pearl blue Angel Hair, pack with bent end tweezer, and spin till the brush breaks free from the hook. Once you get into a rhythm, the brushes fairly pop off the machine.

Here's what they look like:
Dubbing Brushes


Log in or register to pre-fill name on comments, add videos, user pictures and more.
Read more about why you should register.