• Reply to: Advice about casting a 0.9 gram trout streamer with a 12 gram / 185 grain 6.2 meter scandi shooting head   2 years 5 months ago

Nemo,

Good to hear that the setup works! And yes, the spey casting or underhand casting requires practice like all other fly casts. I find it fairly easy to get into the rhythm and get it to work - and if I can do it, so can you!

On of the keys - as with most casting - is not to force it, but work the rod and let the weight of the line do the work, so to say. On a two hand rod I find that keeping the bottom of the rod fairly still, and simply moving the lower hand (left in my case) while the top hand on the handle is more static, works well. I'm not quite as used to casting this way with a one hand rod, but when using a shooting head, the way the line is lifted off the water is kind of an underhand cast.

I've downsized the fly to a size 6 Ahrex NS 122 Light Stinger hook and a transparent plastic head (Fish-Mask), and used composite material for the body; it works like a charm - when I manage to get the cast right ;) - on a 5 foot fluoro leader. No need for the weighted head , the S3 tip brings the fly to the right depth in my neck of the woods.
    Now, this single handed speycasting can be quite tricky to perform. Definitely not as easy as it seems in the vids; you really must get every step right and smoothly too. But when you get it right it flies :) I'll need a lot of practice for sure, but it's well worth the effort as I'll be able to fish lots of new stretches of water where an overhead cast would be near to impossible.

• Reply to: A lousy old fly rod   2 years 5 months ago

Martin,
    A lovely post. My favourite rod is a cheap fibreglass 8ft 6/7 weight that I bought as part of a combo for £50 a few years ago when starting out. I’ve tried newer and ‘better’ rods but keep returning to my old favourite. It’s very forgiving; I use a 4 wf on it for trout, a 7 wf for saltwater and an 8 for pike on the local canal and it seems to suit all three lines.
    I love it .
    Ben

• Reply to: YR3D dubbing brush tool   2 years 5 months ago

Thank you Martin!!!

• Reply to: Bead Butt Black Nose Dace   2 years 6 months ago

Bob,

Jim has simply removed the video from YouTube and it's nowhere to be found... I have replaced it with an almost similar video of his, but the original is gone and I can't get it back unless Jim publishes it again.

• Reply to: Bead Butt Black Nose Dace   2 years 6 months ago

Jim’s Black Nose Dace video is “Not available.” Please restore this excellent video, so it can be viewed. I left a note about it for Jim on his YouTube site in the replies to one of his videos but don’t know if he will see it there or be able to fix it here. -Bob

• Reply to: The shoulder thing   2 years 6 months ago

It's really about the the fish! Anyone fishing partner who couples the "rod balance" with the "fish thrust" (pushing the fish much closer to the camera for size distortion) for the sake of self-enhancement or Instagram gets dunked at my hand :) .

It's simple; if you're not proud of, and appreciate the beauty of, your catch, don't take a picture.

• Reply to: Advice about casting a 0.9 gram trout streamer with a 12 gram / 185 grain 6.2 meter scandi shooting head   2 years 6 months ago

Thanks. I'll try and tie some :)

Nemo,

You can experiment with the fly size and weight, but do give the larger and heavier flies a try. It might not be as bad as you think.

Regarding the sea trout flies, I know for sure that a lot of them will work for brown trout. Anywhere where you might consider fishing a Wooly Bugger or a streamer, I'm sure a lot of the Baltic sea trout flies will do fine. I have used quite a few of them in a classic wet fly swing down and across on streams, and have had success. Quite a few of them are actually inspired by classic wet flies, various streamers and Woolly Bugger style flies, originally tied for brown trout.

Thanks Martin. The rod is a Guideline Elevation 9' 5wt (rated for 11 grams to 13 grams heads, so obviously more a 6wt and some)
    I think I'll downsize a little to size 8 to 6 hook with a plastic head and composite material instead of rabbit pelt.
    I've found this very interesting video: https://youtu.be/1ovxdURdcP8
    It should be both light and big enough. If I need to go deeper I'll switch to another sinking head combination...
    The sea trout fly patterns on GlobalFlyFisher are really nice too, but I don't know if they would work for river brown trout...?

Nemo,

It's a heavy fly, but doing an underhand cast with a heavy fly shouldn't be a problem. You can't really do any harm to your equipment, and the only problem can be that it's difficult to lift the fly out of the water and propel it out. Heavy flies on a 5/6 weight can be a challenge. But a lot of people cast very heavy flies on fairly light gear - like those using the Skagit style of lines and casting techniques. It's not necessarily elegant, but it works.

You may find that the fly is too heavy for comfort, and of course a rod in a higher class and a line that follows in weight might then be a solution.

• Reply to: February Red   2 years 6 months ago

Hi Pasi:

Great looking pattern. I've seen dozens of these coming off my home waters. Thanks for the article and photos. I'll be tying up some of these for February

Thanks again