• Reply to: GFF Survived!   2 years 5 months ago

Good to hear you're back in the saddle at GFF, Martin. Best wishes to you and yours and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Reply to: Perrault's Standard   2 years 5 months ago

Funny that this book comes out to us again. Yes, Keith compiled a huge dictionary of patterns. And yes, it is not consistent in type or print. I have a copy also signed by the author. He signed it for me at his shop in Ennis, Mt. on July 7, 1989. The thing is that although this book is terrible it was the work that Keith did on, or should I say to, bamboo rods that was worse. He single handily ruined several cane rods in that he would strip the finish and then die the blank in black ink. The rods were then displayed at his shop. I remember an entire line of black rods that he had destroyed. I cannot remember the makers of the rods but whoever they were are probably still rolling in their respective graves.
    Mark

• Reply to: Elk Hair Caddis   2 years 5 months ago

Ipatfly,

I think the Dyneema 55 is Roman Moser Power Silk Dyneema Thread GSP 8/0 which is sometimes referred to as Dyneema 55. I'll check with Barry and post his reply here.

• Reply to: GFF Survived!   2 years 5 months ago

HI Martin - Glad to hear you are on the mend. Thank you for all you do for the fly fishing world. We all appreciate this as the best and most informative website for our fly fishing community. God Bless,
    Jack Harford

• Reply to: Elk Hair Caddis   2 years 5 months ago

In your video "Tying the Elk Hair Caddis with Barry Ord Clarke Sept. 28, 2016" in the comments you mentioned you use Dyneema 55 thread. Is 55 a product # or is it the Denier size? I cannot find "55" in Dyneema or Veevus search.

• Reply to: Fish Skull Sparkle Minnow   2 years 5 months ago

hans ties terrefic flies and his instrucion are first rate. He has a great site with hundreds of fly tutorial,G

• Reply to: Salty Sardinia   2 years 5 months ago

Hi Jack, yes they do, jumping, running and putting a nice bend into the 8 weight, ,

• Reply to: The measure tape   2 years 5 months ago

Brian,

Thanks for the comment, and yes, I have similar experiences with both glass and bamboo rods. They are such a joy to fish and cast with - not to mention catch - and the casting distance is much more dependent on your technique than the nature of the rod.

• Reply to: Privacy policy   2 years 5 months ago

Carl,

Thanks for noticing. I try to keep the mumble jumble to a minimum - and also try to keep the tracking to a minimum. Cookies are used as a tool to help users and improve the site, and not to keep track of your shoe size or what side you sleep on at night... ;-)

• Reply to: Privacy policy   2 years 5 months ago

Martin, I got to the box about “Of course we use cookies…” on your home page and out of curiosity, clicked on the more info link. I just wanted to thank you for the clarity and brevity of information on what data you collect and how you use it. In opposition to so many things that I have to agree to in order to use many sites, apps and programs, yours actually was written to be understood and add clarity, rather than obfuscate with excessive length and legalese.

• Reply to: The measure tape   2 years 5 months ago

I was 8 when my dad handed me a fly rod for the first time! I'm not sure what age I was when he first brought me with him fishing but he used to cast a worm out on a spinning rod and told me to watch for a fish taking it! When one took it he never once took the rod off me to show me how to land it, he just told me what to do and god only knows how many I lost before I caught on! I know now that if I had have actually listened to his instructions and done what I was told I would have learned how to do it a lot more quickly! He has since told me that when he gave me the fly rod he was filled with both dread and delightment! Delightment at the thought of me learning to love what he loves but dread at how hard it was going to be to help me learn! Lol! That was 35 years ago and it was all river fishing back then and I picked up his passion for it!

My favorite rod is the first brand new rod he gave me! It's a fibreglass shakespeare 8'6ft 7#. I have a fair few rods in my armoury now of various lengths and weights and I fish mostly these days on lakes! I have a lovely greys 10'6ft 7/8# that I thought I could cast the most distance with until one day I thought I'd bring out my wee shakey just to see the how far I could cast with it compared to my big rod and was very surprised to find that there is very little difference with regard to how far I can cast with them! About 60 ft with the greys and a bit less with the shakey! After throwing the greys for a while it felt like I was casting in slow motion to keep the line in the air with the shakey lol! Much more relaxing and enjoyable! (I brought the slack after the cast back onto the reel then once I retrieved the fly I walked the line along the bank to measure it) sorry about the long post but hopefully its helpful!

• Reply to: Salty Sardinia   2 years 5 months ago

Sounds like exciting fishing waiting for the shoals of fish to come in. Do they fight hard on the fly gear?